The Department of Computer Science announces 1 full time Special Scientist position for the research programme CLIPE (Creating Lively Interactive Populated Environments) funded by the EC (under the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network action).
The research objective of CLIPE is to design the next-generation of VR-ready characters. CLIPE is addressing the most important current aspects of the problem, making the characters capable of behaving more naturally; interacting with real users sharing a virtual experience with them; being more intuitively and extensively controllable for virtual worlds designers.
Project Title: Character animation and control
Supervisors: Prof. Yiorgos Chrysanthou and Prof. Marios Avraamides
Objectives: 1. Review of methods for authoring virtual humans, emphasizing on usability, control, interactivity, style and quality of generated results, 2. Develop methods and algorithms to describe and generate populace for scenes, with a small number of characters, using intuitive control methods that will keep the salient but important features of the behaviour. 3. Evaluation of the methods using VR or AR.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Undertake individual research in the aforementioned area.
- Travel to project meetings and workshops at partner sites across Europe.
- Undertake training in research and innovation both independently and collaboratively with other Marie Curie Fellows at partner sites.
- Contribute to the planning and documentation of the project.
- Prepare and present findings and progress to colleagues for review purposes.
- Present the projects at workshops and conferences.Contribute to the writing up of the project.Prepare progress reports on research for funding bodies as required.
- Contribute to the preparation and drafting of research bids and proposals.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required.
- Carry out any other duties commensurate with the grade and purpose of the post.
The successful candidate will be exposed to different industry requirements through their placements/ internships in world-renowned companies (industrial partners), such as BBC, Ubisoft, Treedy’s, Amazon Development Center, etc.
The successful candidate should:
- hold a Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering (or an equivalent diploma allowing them to pursue a PhD);
- be in the first 4 years of their research career and not have a doctoral degree (The 4 years are measured from the date when the applicant obtained the degree which would formally entitle him/her to embark on a PhD);
- possess excellent/ good oral and written English language skills (if English is not his/her first language);
- have good skills in scientific writing and results presentation.
The successful candidate should not to have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Cyprus, for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date.
The position is on a contract basis of one year, and is renewable for another two years. The monthly salary is estimated at €2350,76. From this amount employee contributions will be deducted. The position does not include a 13th Salary or bonus. The salary will be supplemented with a Mobility Allowance (€589,10 per month). Eligible applicants based on family status may receive an additional Family Allowance of €490,92 per month.
In addition to the above, full tuition coverage for doctoral studies at the University of Cyprus are covered by the funding.
Interested candidates should submit the following items, in PDF or Word format, via e-mail to Prof Yiorgos Chrysanthou (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof Marios Avraamides (email: email@example.com) by (15th of March or until position is filled):
< >Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date.A detailed curriculum vitae in Greek or in English (contact address and telephone number should be included).Copies of transcripts of relevant degree(s).The names and contact details of at least two university professors from whom references may be requested.
For more details and other information, interested individuals may contact Prof. Yiorgos Chrysanthou and Prof. Marios Avraamides, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or telephone: + 357 2289 2719, +357 22 252500
For more information on the project, please also visit https://www.clipe-itn.eu.
At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member Committee.
Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).