Rate this
Subbareddy Darukumalli's picture

Dear All, 


At the moment I am in the last year of my fellowship as an early stage researcher but still, I have to work around 6 months to complete my PhD thesis work.  After the grant ends,  I am planning to apply for the unemployment benefits in Austria as a full-time employee from last three years.  

If someone could share any information regarding how to apply for the unemployment benefits in Austria and pros and cons of it would be a great help. 

Stay home stay safe! 

Best regards, 

Subbareddy darukumalli 









AMS - Arbeitslosengeld

Dear Subbareddy Darukumalli, I am in the same situation as you since my fellowship ended on October this year, but I'm currently getting the unemployment money from the AMS (Arbeitsmarktservice). You just need to apply at the AMS in your city and they will tell you how to proceed, but it should be simple, specially if you have european passport.


For unemployment benefits you need to apply for job positions. Alternatively, check the Bildungskarenz (educational leave). That's what I used to finish my Ph.D.