Secondment costs and reimbursement MSCA-IF in Germany | Marie Curie Alumni Association
Rate this

Dear all,

I would like to reopen the secondment housing costs question. In this case for MSCA-Individual Fellow
I think it will be interesting for everybody with a MSCA with secondments, to clarify some issues about reimbursement.

It seems that my institution TUM do not reimburse housing in secondments because they say that it is included in the mobility and living allowance. This means that you pay it from your salary.

But, I found this text:

Where you can read the following:
"However, your employer may not use the funding provided for your living, mobility, or family allowance in order to pay, for example, tuition fees, healthcare costs (above compulsory social security contributions), or expenses of secondments (travel, housing etc.). By the end of your fellowship, you must have received the amounts due to you as described below, minus only the statutory (legally required) deductions for taxation and social security (both employer and employee contributions). "

According to that text, secondments may not be paid using living and mobility. I think this should be clarified properly so we have a strong answer for the German institutions.

Thanks to every body


Private content



Hi Pablo,

This is an issue that is much more common among ESRs on ITN projects. It has been covered here and here years ago.

There seems to be many aspects that the TUM is getting wrong. (i) From the point of view of the MSCA regulations but also (ii) from the point of view of German law/regulations.

Contact your Project Officer for details about how the TUM should administer your grant and forward the feedback to admin.

The mobility allowance is given to cover extra costs caused by your mobility to Germany, that is, costs of returning to see your family and so on. Their argument is completely bogus.

The TUM is also afraid that you will claim a long business trip (Dienstreise) for the whole secondment: This would cover accomodation, travel expenses and a per diem for your living expenses. Technically the most correct way under German law to reimburse your secondment is as a "Dienstreise". 

I have certain understanding for ITN supervisors, if there is a convenenient way to swap accommodation between ESRs moving between hosts in opposite directions, I can see why they might want to put more money into other parts of the project. Unfortunately swapping accommodation is not always feasible and certainly not for an IF.



Salary, Taxes, Pension, Benefits and Reimbursements
German Chapter

Related question

0 points